Praz Banzi, Richard Ashby and Sam Trickett were among the big winners at last week’s British Poker Awards ceremony. Held on September 13th at London’s Kensington Close Hotel, the show was hosted by poker superstar Antonio Esfandiari and honored the country’s top poker players, while allowing the fans to join in the celebration.
The public was invited to vote for most of the awards. Over 3,000 fans of the game took advantage, with the winners including:
- Best International Player – Phil Ivey
- Best Cash Player – Neil Channing
- Best Tournament Player – James Akenhead
- Best Online Player – Chris Moorman
- Best Contribution to Poker – Vicky Coren
- Best UK Poker Forum – Hendon Mob
- Best UK Card Room – Dusk till Dawn
- Best Poker League – The Nuts Poker League
Two additional awards were handed out by a panel of pro players; these awards were:
- Player’s Choice: Best Newcomer – Sam Trickett
- Player’s Choice Best All-around Player – Richard Ashby
Finally, Bluff Magazine, Poker Europe and Poker News combined to choose:
- Editor’s Choice Player of the Year – Praz Banzi
As one blogger mentioned, “The awards are part of the London Poker Festival. The month long festival features all kinds of activities and events for poker players. Mostly it features tournaments, including the just started WSOPE, as well as the upcoming EPT London.” The event offered great publicity for British poker players, as well as giving the fans a chance to acknowledge their favorite players.